cookieOptions = {...}; J.L.'s Movie Reviews: 2013 Emmy Predictions cookieOptions = {...};

Monday, August 19, 2013

2013 Emmy Predictions

    2013 Emmy Predictions

The Emmy's are coming soon, and the competition this year is tough. From American Horror Story with a total of 17 nominations, to the fan-favorite medieval drama Game of Thrones with 16 nominations, to the soon-ending Breaking Bad holding a total of 13 nominations. Not just past winners are the favored party, Netflix's first high-profile drama House of Cards racked in 9 Emmy nominations, unprecedented for a show not to air on broadcast or cable television. Cards isn't the only Netflix show to score big. Netflix's revised and incredibly-loved series Arrested Development received 3 Emmy's, including Best Actor Jason Bateman. All of the nominees this year are superb, but, obviously, there can only be one winner in each category. Will Breaking Bad finally win best drama? Will Modern Family reclaim it's position as Best Comedy? Here are my predictions for this year's Emmy's awards.

DRAMA

Best Drama Series: Breaking Bad

With Breaking Bad ending this year, it seems fitting to send it off with the Emmy the show has deserved for the past 5 years. Seeing as how Homeland was a big, messy disappointment this season, it seems likely it won't be the victor. The acting, writing, and directing this season and every other season have been phenomenal, the Emmy should go to the show that is consistently mesmerizing. My pick is Breaking Bad this year.


Best Actor: Bryan Cranston (Breaking Bad)

"You asked me if I'm in the meth business or the money business. I'm in neither. I'm in the Empire business."-Walter White. Words spoken by the greatest drama television character ever. For the past 5 years now, Cranston has delivered performances unmatched by anyone, television and film. Even though Damian Lewis did win last year (which I disagree with), the very poor, unrealistic second season will likely cause Homeland to leave empty handed. Like I said, this season was superb and with the series ending soon, it would be preferable to end with Cranston in his proper place, at the podium accepting his fourth Emmy as the Scarface of television. However, if Cranston does not bring home the prize, I would prefer Kevin Spacey's amazing performance in House of Cards to get the golden statue.

Best Actress: Claire Danes (Homeland) 

As I've said before a couple times, I was thoroughly disappointed with the second season of Homeland. That being said, these are predictions, not hopes. If I had my way, I would have given the Emmy to Robin Wright for her captivating, manipulative performance in Netflix's House of Cards. But, it's not my choice. Claire Dane's performance was probably the only good thing about Homeland this season. It may not have been as electrifying (pun intended, pun always intended) as it was in the first season, but it was still exemplar. Claire is my prediction, and one I would be surprised but defiantly not disappointed if proven incorrect.


Best Supporting Actor: Aaron Paul (Breaking Bad)

A repeated victory from Aaron Paul seems very likely. These past three years Aaron has added such incredible layers to the character of Jesse Pinkman, so much so that he has become a fan favorite. Going from an immature, pot dealer with an over-fondness of the word meaning "female dog" to practically becoming the morale compass of the show is not an simple task, but Paul and the writers have done it with such realism and grace. The series is ending soon, the season was phenomenal, and the character of Jesse Pinkman is almost as interesting as the character of Walter White. I would only be okay if Aaron Paul lost to co-star Jonathan Banks, who too had a great year.


Best Supporting Actress: Anna Gunn (Breaking Bad)

Not all of the Breaking Bad actors deserve to win just because it is their last year, all of the Breaking Bad Actors deserve to win because this was their best year. This statement definitely does not exclude Anna Gunn. Skylar White used to be one of the most annoying character on Breaking Bad or any other show. In the fifth season, she is still very annoying, but Anna Gunn and the writers add plenty of new layers to the character that don't just make her more bearable, but made her more sympathetic. Her performance this year was phenomenal. For the first time in Breaking Bad history, Skylar proved herself to be almost as smart and manipulative as her drug-dealing husband. She began putting her foot down and wanting to protect her children, which made her not just a character who stood in the way, but one who was pushing back, which is immensely more entertaining.

Comedy

Best Comedy Series: Modern Family

Let's be honest here, chances are very good that Modern Family will bring home the award again for the fourth time. I can not explain in words how happy I will be if Louie finally won. Well, actually I can put it in words: Very, very happy. This was a great season of Louie and C.K. gave one of the best performances I've ever seen. Still, the academy are real suckers when it comes to this family comedy. This season was an average year in Modern Family terms, which still means pretty good. This ensemble is still very funny and they work well together. Even though I would avidly prefer Louie to win, chances are that Modern Family will win again. As long as The Big Band Theory doesn't win, I think I'll be fine.

Best Actor: Louie C.K. (Louie)

Louie probably won't win best Comedy, despite it now being the best comedy on television, but my money is on Louie C.K. bringing home the Emmy. This was an excellent season for Louie C.K. Not only was his writing and directing great, but his acting was superb. Louie has always brought an honest, brutal display of life after the age 40. Louie is now not only one of, if not the, best stand-up comedians I've ever seen, but he is also one of the best comedy television actors I've ever seen. He does so much for this fantastic, hilarious show. I would completely lose my faith in the academy if they snub him and give the award to Alec Baldwin or worse, Jim Parsons.


  Best Actress: Julie Louis-Dreyfus (Veep)

Let's face it, Julie is a tremendous comedic actress. Veep may not be my favorite comedy on television, but her performance really makes the show. I actually wouldn't mind Tina Fey winning the Emmy this year. 30 Rock is definitely not my favorite comedy on television, nor has it ever been. But Tina does so much for the show the whole 8 years it's been on, just like Breaking Bad, it might be nice for it to leave on a high note for Tina. Who I also would like Amy Poehler to win. She has never brought home the Emmy and she is great in Parks and Rec. I don't really care for any of the other actresses nominated. As much as I enjoy the three actresses I mentioned, I still stick with my first choice, Julie. Even though I like Parks and Rec more than Veep, something about Julie's performance really intrigues and entertains me. I'm putting my money on Dreyfus.

  

Best Supporting Actor: Ty Burrell (Modern Family)

Definitely in my top five comedy TV actors of the year. All of the actors on Modern Family are extremely gifted and Ty is no exception. He really pulls off the dad trying to too hard to be cool, almost like a dad version of Michael Scott. All of the actors from Modern Family who are nominated have a good chance of winning, and so does extremely talented Bill Hader, especially seeing as how this was his last year on SNL. Even though Burrell is competing against 4 very talented comedy actors, I still think he has the best shot. A lot of people, including the academy, really like Phil Dunphy. Ty has already won one Emmy for his role and it seems very likely this year he will win his second.          


 

Best Supporting Actress: Julie Bowen (Modern Family)


Julie is going to win, no doubt about it. She has already won before for her role, it seems as if the academy will never give Sofia Vergara a break, Julie is our best bet, and rightfully so. She does an incredible job playing the over-protective, controlling mother without overdoing it, she does a really, really good job. Besides Sofia, Julie's Modern Family co-star, I don't really care for any of the other nominees. I can't stand The Big Bang Theory, so I don't want Mayim Bialik winning, I don't like Nurse Jackie so I don't care for whatever her name is to win. It just comes down to the Modern Family girls, so my money is on Julie.                                         




No comments:

Post a Comment