cookieOptions = {...}; J.L.'s Movie Reviews: Mad Max: Fury Road Review cookieOptions = {...};

Saturday, May 16, 2015

Mad Max: Fury Road Review

Did I watch the same movie as everyone else?

George Miller returns to live action film-making after years of making stories about singing penguins. Awesome.

The world has plunged into chaos. We are running out of vital resources. Everyone has become insane and reduced to a single instinct- survive. Mad Max currently stands at a 98% rating on Rotten Tomatoes, a 8.9/10 on IMDB as well as a 89 on Metacritic, and is seen as one of the greatest action movies not only of the year, but of all time...ugh...
Film is subjective. I may love a movie and think it's one of the best films ever made, and someone else may think it's a piece of crap. That's the way cinema works and that's what's so wonderful about it all- there's something for everyone. That being said, Mad Max: Fury Road sucked and I'm right and you're wrong. Okay, I'm just joking but still, SERIOUSLY? This film is being compared to T2, Die Hard, The Matrix; this movie has no business being in those types of discussions. I simply do not understand why this movies is being so universally loved. Don't get me wrong, I loved the look of the movie. It felt dirty and lived-in, the cinematography and stunt choreography is out of this world. The usage of practical effects is mind-blowing. But at the end of the day, if I don't care at all about the people driving a car in a movie, I'm not going to care if it crashes- no matter how crazy and realistic it may look. I did not care about any of these characters whatsoever, which is disappointing because you have some amazing acting talent here including Tom Hardy, Nicholas Hoult, and probably one of the best working actresses today- Charlize Theron. But none of them were given any real time to shine. The first hour of the movie there were maybe 10 lines of dialogue, most of which were bad ADR. Fury Road is just 2 hours of flashy, gritty, ridiculous, crazy, and gratuitous shots of cars flipping over and exploding laced together by a thin plot lead by characters you don't care about and don't root for. You can only give me a cat and mouse story for so long before I start wanting the mouse to just get caught so I can go home and sleep. I was not invested whatsoever, I was just waiting for it to end, and I kept wondering how much blood Max can give to people before he just dies already. I have to watch this again and maybe my views will change, but as of right now this is probably one of the most overrated movies I've seen in quite sometime. Poor story, thin plot, nameless insane characters, and no clear stakes- but hey, cool explosion. Final Grade- C+

No comments:

Post a Comment